- Install your fairytale garden between light and shade
A fairy garden must offer mysterious corners, if possible in the shade of large trees, sunny places conducive to the flowers loved by fairies, and places in partial shade, where the sun filters and shimmers through the foliage.
- Choose fairy plants
According to various legends, certain plants are reputed to attract fairies and invite them to come and dance in your garden, in particular clover, thyme, rosemary, digitalis (sometimes called “fairy gloves” or “fairy dice”) , bluebells, heather, bluebells, primroses, lily of the valley, roses and lilac. It is sometimes even said that each elderflower and hawthorn flower harbours a tiny fairy.
- Plants Dedicated To Fairies
If the roses attract fairies, some are specifically dedicated to them: plant the delightful little pink rose “The Fairy” or the sumptuous white rose “Fairy Snow” (also called “Iceberg”).
No fairies without elves… So also plant flowers of the elves ( Epimedium ), a beautiful ground cover with small light flowers in spring: the variety “Roseum”, with its purple flowering is particularly suitable.
- Exquisite Roses
Other roses do not bear names of fairies, but their exquisite delicacy recommends them in a fairy garden:
- “Morning dew “, ground cover with large double wild roses, delicately scented, nuanced with pink and white.
- “Ballerina “, a shrub with small dancing pink and white flowers, all in grace and delicacy.
- “Aimée Vibert “, or “Bridal Bouquet”, climbing the little round pompoms in pure white, highlighted by adorable pink buttons.
- “Évangeline “, liana rose with a profusion of scented rosehips, pure pink with more intense reflections.
- Attract birds and butterflies
Delicate rustles of wings are the favourite music of the fairies. Attract the birds by planting shrubs which offer them berries to peck, by installing feeders and nest boxes in the trees, not to mention a nice birdbath, made of cast iron for example.
Attract the butterflies by leaving a square of weeds (nettles in particular) in the fairy garden; by installing honey plants such as buddleia, borage, scabious, lupins and sweet peas; aromatic plants such as thyme, sage and rosemary. In addition, regularly arrange a few ripe fruits with which butterflies are fond of a cup of sugar water mixed with honey and a hint of salt.
- Make yourself gracious mobiles with pieces of wood, seeds, pieces of straw …
- Hang from the branches, at the end of a wire, enchanted circles made of wire around which you will wrap ivy regularly pricked with fresh flowers.
- Hang a rotating and scintillating mirror with the wind, made of “mirror” sticker glued on both sides of a board and framed with the bark of wood.
- Complete the decoration of your fairytale garden
You can decorate your fairytale garden with multiple objects.
- Symbolic circles
Since time immemorial, the circle has had strong symbolic value. For example, place circles of white pebbles, pine cones or freshly picked ephemeral flowers on the foam.
- A fairy house
Do not forget a nice bench nestled in the greenery, to take full advantage of your fairy garden and watch for their appearance.…